+44 7853 844688


How to Extend Your UK Student Visa: The Complete Guide

extend your visa

If you’re currently a Tier 4 (General) student visa holder, extending your stay in the UK is possible. This includes continuing your current course or studying a new one.

To extend your visa, you must meet certain requirements. To be in the United Kingdom on a student visa or Tier 4 (general), you must enroll full-time. Make sure you enroll at an eligible university or college. Moreover, get a course at this university. Plus, it’s important to get your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies.

To prove that your academic studies are at a higher level than your current course, you must meet the academic progress requirement. Prove that you’ve achieved more in learning and knowledge.

Let’s have a look at extending the visa. We’ll also answer your question, “Where can I travel with a UK student visa?”

What are the requirements to extend your visa?

You must pay tuition fees for the first year to attend the course. If it’s a one-year or shorter course, you’ll also have to pay full tuition rates throughout the course. To get the funds, prove that you have a project with the potential to achieve results.

If you’re an international student and enroll in a UK course for the first time, you might be eligible to get some money from the government. The estimated cost of living for the first nine months of your course is £9,207. This includes monthly payments of £680 per person. This covers expenses your family may incur while residing with you in the UK.

Where I can travel with UK student visa? Your ability to travel will depend on your visa type, duration, and other factors. If you have a UK student visa, you can travel to many countries worldwide. So, check with your visa issuer before planning any trips.

Importance of Financial Evidence

The best way to ensure you have enough financial evidence is to start planning for it early.

If you or your parents are paying your fees, you’ll need bank statements. This shows you’ve held the funds required for visa applications for at least 28 days. The last transaction date must be 31 days before submitting your application.

If funded by an official sponsor, you must get a sponsorship letter. The letter should contain all the information required by UKVI.

To apply for an extension of your visa from the UK, you must do so within 14 days of becoming an overstayer. You can only provide a valid justification if you cannot file before the expiration date.

Where I can travel with a UK student visa? If you have a UK student visa, you can travel to most European countries without needing an additional visa. This includes all 28 countries of the EU, as well as non-EU countries such as Norway, Switzerland and Liechtenstein.

Expiration of UK Student Visa

The expiration date of your visa is critical. If you stay in the UK after this date without requesting a visa renewal, you’ll be considered an overstayer. This means you are in the country illegally. It is a crime to overstay your visa. Overstaying for more than 30 days normally results in a 12-month ban on returning to the UK.

Waiting for a decision on your visa application. It’s advised not to travel outside the Common Travel Area. This will invalidate your application and could lead to complications in the future.

It’s time to prepare financial evidence in case of a lawsuit. If you’re a UK resident and meet the eligibility requirements, you won’t have to worry about meeting financial requirements. This will happen during your application process.

If you’re not a UK resident, you need evidence of funding for living expenses and tuition fees. This includes where you’ll live, what the school will cost, and any other expenses you might have.

The requirements for acceptable forms of evidence vary. This depends on which visa category you fall under. So, it’s important to consult an immigration specialist, KQ Solicitors, beforehand if unsure. Additionally, they’ll check your financial records before issuing your CAS.

Where I can travel with a UK student visa? Before your international trip, it’s a good idea to find out which countries will allow you to enter. In some countries, such as the USA and Canada, it’s necessary to have a valid student visa. This is important to enter the country and stay there for an extended period.

Consider Receiving Your CAS

You’ll need to provide other documents if you want your application to be considered.

First, have your supporting documents ready ahead of time. Secondly, attach financial evidence to speed up the process once you receive a CAS. Lastly, submit electronic copies of your original documents in either scanned or photo form.

Your documents and evidence will depend on your specific situation. This could include the following:

Keep a copy of your police registration and certificate. You need to provide updated information like your:

  • Current address
  • Passport
  • Visa

If applicable, the ATAS certificate should be shown.

If you’re a foreigner and your credentials haven’t expired yet, you don’t need to provide copies of them. Provided, they’re referenced on the CAS application form.

Start the Application Process

Suppose you want to study in Australia or New Zealand. In that case, you will need to apply for a student visa for each country separately. Australia has an online application process for student visas. While New Zealand requires an in-person interview at their embassy in London.

Equally important, you must apply online to be considered for this position. You’ll need proof of your identity to apply for a visa or residency. This will depend on your passport or permit and where you’re from.

The “UK Immigration: ID Check” app allows users to scan their identity documents. You can also create or sign in to a UKVI account.

To get a UK visa or citizenship, you must provide your fingerprints and photograph. Also, provide biometric information at a service point.

They’ll inform you about the application process when you submit your form.

Where I can travel with a UK student visa? In general, you can travel to the United States and Canada. However, you will need to obtain a separate visa for each country. The US student visa is an F-1 visa and can be obtained through their embassy in London. For Canada, you will need to apply for a study permit.

Having a UK student visa opens up a world of opportunities for international travel. With the right preparation and planning, you can make the most of your travels and enjoy your time abroad. Before planning any trips, check the visa requirements for each country. So, make sure that you have the necessary documentation.

What Happens After Submitting Your Application?

It takes longer than average to process applications due to their complexity. If your application is particularly complex, they may need more time to review it. This could occur if there are unusual features or arrangements in the document.

  • Your supporting documents need to be verified for accuracy before they can proceed.
  • You need to attend an interview for the job you’re applying for.
  • If you need to make changes to your immigration application, contact UKVI.
  • If the process has not yet begun, your fee will be refunded.


Q: What is a Tier 2 Visa Extension?

A: A Tier 2 Visa Extension is an immigration status granted to those already in the UK on a Tier 2 visa who wish to remain in the country longer. It enables applicants to extend their visas for up to five years.

Q: How do I apply for a Tier 2 Visa Extension?

A: Applying for a Tier 2 Visa Extension is a multi-step process. First, submit your application through the Home Office’s online visa application system. You’ll need to provide evidence of your current visa status and fill out a form with personal and financial information. Once you’ve submitted your application, you may be required to attend a biometric appointment to provide fingerprints and a photograph.

Q: What documents do I need to provide when applying for a Tier 2 Visa Extension?

A: You must provide evidence of your current visa status, such as a valid passport and/or residence permit. You may also need to supply evidence of your finances, such as bank statements, payslips, and any other relevant documents related to your application.

Q: How long does it take to receive a decision on my Tier 2 Visa Extension application?

A: The time it takes to receive a decision on your Tier 2 Visa Extension application can vary depending on your circumstances. Generally speaking, decisions are made within 8 weeks of submitting your application. However, this can be longer if your application has an issue or requires further investigation.


To sum up, this guide has been written to help UK students. You’ll understand your visa options, so you can find a solution that best fits you. To help, we’ve added information on the rights and protections a student visa affords you while you are in the UK.

Moreover, it’s also useful to know your employability rights as an international student. Studying at a UK educational establishment protects your future job prospects. These visa rules and regulations aren’t designed with ease of reading in mind. But don’t let that put you off.

Our guide is here to ensure that you understand everything from your options from the outset. So, there’ll be no nasty surprises along the way.

7 Helpful Tips for Buying Property as a Tier 2 Visa Holder
Tier 1 Entrepreneur Visa UK: Your Guide to Apply
A Consumer’s Guide to Navigating Complaints Against Solicitors
Expert No Win No Fee Divorce Solicitors In the UK

Share This Post:

Leave a Comment

Our Head Solicitor
Khurram Amir Qureshi

Khurram Amir Qureshi has been an advocate of Pakistan since 2004, a Solicitor of England and Wales since 2009, Solicitor of Ireland since 2015. He has extensive experience in family law, Immigration law, Personal injury cases, and Civil and Commercial litigation gaining over 13 years of continuous practice in England and Wales.

Recent posts
Follow us on
Get Expert Advice From Our Legal Team