+44 7853 844688


Interim Orders 101: A Beginner’s Guide to Family Court

interim orders

Are you a beginner in family court and looking to learn more about interim orders? interim orders are essential to family court proceedings and provide. Temporary relief to one or both parties involved in a case.

This blog post will provide an overview of interim orders and their associated processes in family court. We will discuss the types of orders available, how to apply them, and what to expect during the process.

So, let’s get start on your journey to understanding Interim Orders 101: A Beginner’s Guide to Family Court.

What Types of Interim Order Family Court Are There?

Interim court order family court regulates the behaviour of parties involved in family matters. Interim Orders are not permanent or final orders but rather temporary solutions pending the conclusion of the family proceedings.

The main types of Interim Orders include:

1. An Urgent Interim Order

This is an interim order made when the court considers it necessary to protect a party. And child involved in family proceedings and requires immediate action. Such orders are usually request urgently and may be put into effect even before the other party has been hear.

2. An Appeal Interim Order

This interim order is made when one party appeals to an existing interim order made by the court. It will suspend any existing interim order until the appeal has been determine.

3. A Family Court Interim Order

This is an interim order made by the family court upon application by either party involve in the family matter. This type of order can regulate parenting arrangements, financial matters, and other issues related to the parties and their children.

It is important to note that any interim order made by a family court is only temporary. And will remain in force until a final order is made at a later hearing. All interim orders can be varied or cancelled upon application to the court. So it is important to seek legal advice. If you have any concerns about the impact of an interim order on your case.

How do I make an Application for an Interim Order?

If you need to obtain an Interim Court Order from. The Family Court, there are several steps that you must take.

Firstly, you will need to fill out and lodge an Application with the court. This form can be obtain from the court registry or online. You must then serve a copy of the application to the other party, either personally or by post.

An Affidavit is a written statement that sets out facts relevant to your case. It should include all relevant information about the dispute and any proposed interim order you seek. In some cases, the Family Court may require that you file an Affidavit supporting your application.

In urgent circumstances, you may apply for an Interim Order. These applications usually require that the court hears evidence at an urgent hearing to determine whether an Interim Order is necessary and appropriate.

Suppose the court grants an urgent Interim Order. In that case, it will be made effective immediately and remain in effect until a full hearing can be hel.

Once an Interim Order has been granted, either party can appeal it. If they believe the court was wrong in making the order. A party seeking to challenge an Interim Order must file a notice of appeal with the court within seven days of the order’s issuance.

The appeal will be heard at a later date, and a final decision on the interim order will be made.

By following the steps mentioned above. You will be able to make an application for an Interim Order from the Family Court. Whether you are applying for an ordinary Interim Order or an urgent one. It is important to remember that any decision made by the court is binding on both parties until a full hearing can be held.

What Will Happen at The Hearing?

Both parties will present their case at the hearing before a family court judge. The judge will decide whether to grant an interim court order and, if so, which provisions should be included. The judge may also issue an urgent interim order. Which can be granted on an expedited basis to address pressing needs that arise during the legal process.

The judges will consider both sides of the argument and any relevant evidence presented by each party. This includes statements from witnesses and any documents or other items submitted to the court.

After considering all the facts and arguments presented, the judge will decide regarding the interim court order. If the judge grants an interim order, the parties must adhere to it until the final hearing.

If either party is unsatisfied with the judge’s decision, they may file an appeal to the Family Court of Appeals.

The appeal must be fill within 30 days of the date of the decision. The appellate court will review the case to determine . Whether the lower court made a mistake in issuing the interim order.

If they find that an error was made, they may modify or reverse the order. It is important to note that appeals are costly and time-consuming and should only be consider a last resort.

What If the Other Party Doesn’t Comply with The Interim Order?

If the other party fails to comply with an interim court order made by the family court. You can apply for a Contravention Order.

A Contravention Order is an order which states the other party has failed to comply with the interim court order. And can result in the other party being fine or even held in contempt of court.

If your application for a Contravention Order is urgent. You can apply for an urgent interim order from the family court. This will allow the court to take immediate action against the offending party. If it appears they are not complying with the interim order.

In addition, you may also be able to appeal the interim order to the family court, depending on the circumstances.

You must explain why it is urgent and provide evidence to support your claim. Additionally, if you feel that the interim order made by the family court was wrong or unjustified. You can appeal it.

The appellate court will review all relevant evidence and arguments before deciding. However, if your appeal relates to an urgent matter. The appeals process can be expedited to ensure that justice is served swiftly.

Therefore, it is important to understand how the process works . When applying for Interim Orders, Contravention Orders and appealing Interim Orders through the family court.

What If I Need to Change the Interim Order?

If the situation changes and you need to change the interim court order from the family court, you can make a request to the court. However, if you are in an urgent situation and need an immediate change in the interim order, you may need to file an appeal with the family court.

To do this, you will need to provide reasons why the court should consider changing the interim order. This could be a significant change in circumstances since the interim order was made or a breach of the interim order by one of the parties.

The court will then decide whether there is enough reason to warrant a change.

If the court agrees that there is enough evidence to change the interim order, they may issue an urgent interim order from the family court.

This order usually takes effect immediately and could supersede any existing interim orders. When appealing an interim court order from the family court, it’s important to remember that courts won’t look favourably on frivolous appeals.

If the matter is urgent and requires an immediate change to the current arrangement, it’s best to submit written evidence of your case when filing your application for an urgent interim order from the family court.

This evidence must be relevant and reliable; for example, medical records showing a deterioration in health or school reports showing a decline in academic performance due to neglect.

Additionally, it’s important to note that the urgency of your situation doesn’t necessarily guarantee success when appealing for an urgent interim order from family court – ultimately, it is up to the court to assess the merits of your case before deciding on whether or not they should intervene.

What If the Other Party Doesn’t Agree to The Change?

The court will hold a hearing if the other party does not agree to the proposed change in the interim court order.

  • Both parties can present their arguments for and against the proposed change at the hearing.
  • The court will then decide whether or not to grant the request.
  • If either party is dissatisfy with the court’s decision, they can appeal the interim order in family court. However, this process can be lengthy and costly, so it should generally be consider a last resort.

If there is an urgent need to modify an existing interim order, it may be possible to make an urgent application to the family court. In these situations, an urgent interim order family court may be issue without a hearing.

The judge may review the request and decide based on their own discretion.

Generally speaking, requests for urgent interim orders are grant if one of the involve parties can demonstrate that there is an immediate risk of harm if the order is not grant.

For example, if one parent has remove a child from their home and refuses to return them, an urgent interim order family court could be request to immediately return the child to the home of their primary caregiver.

Furthermore, if either party wishes to appeal an interim order family court, they must submit evidence that shows why the original court ruling should be overturn.

This evidence could include new information not available at the initial ruling or proof that the original ruling was contrary to established laws or guidelines.

It is important to note that appeals are typically only grant when significant legal errors are present in the original ruling. Finally, if a party wishes to contest an urgent interim order in family court, they must file an objection within seven days of being notified of the order.

What If There is a Final Hearing?

A final hearing may be require if the matter cannot be resolve through negotiation or mediation.

Both parties will present evidence and legal arguments at this hearing, and the Family Court will then decide on the dispute.

This decision is known as a “final court order”.

A final court order is binding on both parties and can include parenting arrangements. Division of assets and liabilities, and payment of financial support.

Once it is issue, it is difficult to change, and appeals may only be lodge in certain circumstances.

If an appeal is made, the interim order remains in place until the outcome of the appeal is known.

Sometimes, an interim court order may be require before a final hearing.

This is particularly common when there is an urgent need for an interim order family court to protect someone’s rights or interests. These orders are usually tailor to the case’s specific needs. If agree by both parties, can be made by a judge without a formal hearing.

The purpose of an interim order is to provide stability. And security until a decision is made at the final hearing.

Interim orders are generally design to last until the matter has been fully resolve at a final hearing.

It is important to remember that these orders can be change. If the circumstances change, and either party can apply to the court to change or revoke them.

Appeals from interim orders can also be fill; however, they must be done quickly as it is likely that the matter would have been determine at a final hearing before any appeal could be hear.

In situations where urgency is need, such as where protection from harm is need, the family court may seek urgent interim orders.

These applications often require additional documentation from the applicant and must be done very quickly to ensure that adequate protection is grant.

Similarly, emergency applications for interim orders can also be made, allowing for protection even faster than usual.

It is important to keep in mind that these urgent or emergency interim orders must also follow normal legal processes, meaning that they must still adhere to all applicable laws and regulations while also ensuring fairness to all parties involved.

Finally, if an individual feels their rights have been violate under an interim order, they should contact their lawyer immediately to discuss appealing the interim order with the family court.


Q: When can an Interim Order be grant?

A: An Interim Order can be grant when the court feels it is necessary to protect the welfare of a child or to ensure that property or money is preserve until a final decision is made.

Q: Who can apply for an Interim Order?

A: Anyone involved in a family court case can apply for an Interim Order.

Q: How long does an Interim Order last?

A: An Interim Order lasts until the final hearing, where a final decision will be made.

Q: Can an Interim Order be change or cancell?

A: Yes, the court can change or cancel an Interim Order if circumstances change.

Q: What happens if someone breaches an Interim Order?

A: Breaching an Interim Order is serious and can result in legal consequences, such as a fine or even imprisonment.

Q: Is it necessary to have a solicitor for an Interim Order?

A: Although it is not necessary, it is advisable to have a solicitor to represent you in a family court case, especially when applying for an Interim Order.


Interim orders from the family court are useful for managing family law matters while the case is ongoing.

They can help protect you and your family by providing guidance on how the parties should conduct themselves until the final hearing. It’s important to remember that interim orders can be appeal if either party believes they are inappropriate in their particular circumstances. Additionally, an urgent interim order can be obtain quickly if necessary. Whether you are making an application or responding to one, understanding the ins and outs of interim orders will help ensure the best outcome for your family law matter.

If you found this article helpful, please share it with others who could benefit from it. Together, we can all help to ensure that the interim court orders for family court are fair and equitable for all parties involve.

A Parent’s Guide to Understanding and Coping with CAFCASS No Contact Recommendations
Is it a Good Idea to Respond to Solicitors’ Letters without a Lawyer?
Navigating a 70/30 Asset Split in UK Divorce: A Guide to Fairly Divide Your Assets

Share This Post:

3 thoughts on “Interim Orders 101: A Beginner’s Guide to Family Court”

  1. Has anyone actually proof read this page? The grammar and spelling are appalling and the author does not seem to know the past tense. In some places it just doesn’t make sense.
    Not a good shop window!


Leave a Comment

Our Head Solicitor
Khurram Amir Qureshi

Khurram Amir Qureshi has been an advocate of Pakistan since 2004, a Solicitor of England and Wales since 2009, Solicitor of Ireland since 2015. He has extensive experience in family law, Immigration law, Personal injury cases, and Civil and Commercial litigation gaining over 13 years of continuous practice in England and Wales.

Recent posts
Follow us on
Get Expert Advice From Our Legal Team