+44 7853 844688


Non-Molestation & Occupation Orders in the UK: A Simplified Overview

Non-Molestation & Occupation Orders

When protecting yourself from domestic abuse, the UK legal system offers occupation orders that can help. Perhaps, you’ve been told a story of a family member being abused. They were likely told not to report the abuse. Well, this doesn’t seem right. At the same time, it would make them look bad or label them as “unfit to be in a relationship.”

People usually keep quiet about their experiences with domestic violence. It is important to realize you likely want to help these people and stop this cycle. Help is available, though. There are ways to get non-molestation and occupation orders in the UK. This will protect you from ongoing harm from your abuser.

Two such measures are non-molestation orders and occupation orders (UK). So, this blog post will explore the order. Moreover, this will also explain who can apply for them and how they can help protect you.

What are Non-Molestation and Occupation Orders UK?

The order is a legal remedy. It can protect individuals experiencing domestic violence, harassment, or other abuses.

A Non-Molestation Order is a court order. In other words, it prohibits someone from threatening violence against you. This includes pestering, harassing, or intimidating you. An Occupation Order can exclude someone from your home. To put it differently, the order is designed to keep individuals and their property safe. Moreover, it can be used in various situations.

How to Apply for Occupation Order UK?

To apply for an occupation order of emotional abuse, you must go to a civil court. However, before you go to court, you should speak with a solicitor (a lawyer) for advice. One of them recommended is KQ Solicitors. They can help you understand the process and what evidence you’ll need to provide to the court.

When applying, you’ll need to fill out an occupation order form. Also, provide evidence of the abuse or harassment that you’re experiencing. Furthermore, this evidence includes the following:

  • Police Reports
  • Medical Records
  • Witness Statements

Equally important, you better attend a court hearing. You’ll have the opportunity to present your evidence and explain why you need the order.

First, the court will look at your application. Secondly, listen to what you have to say. Then, decide if you can have the order. If the order is granted, it’ll be served on the person you seek protection from. They’ll be prohibited from:

  • Contacting you
  • Coming to your home
  • Engaging in any other behavior

Which Court Do I Need to Apply to?

You must go to a civil court to apply for an occupation order for emotional abuse. The most common court that deals with these applications is the Family Court.

Please note that these are the most common courts that handle the orders. However, this depends on the specific case and jurisdiction. Generally, other courts may also be involved.

What Are the Problems with Occupation Orders?

The order has several problems. Usually, these issues can make it difficult for individuals to access protection. In the end, they can result in delays and stress for those seeking an order. In addition, this puts their safety and well-being at risk.

Misuse of Orders

Some individuals can misuse the orders to gain an unfair advantage in a property dispute. This can lead to delays in resolving the dispute. Moreover, this causes undue stress and hardship for all parties involved.

Lack of Enforcement

Another key point is police or other authorities cannot enforce occupation orders for emotional abuse. In other words, the person who’s supposed to vacate the property may remain there. Ultimately, this can put the person who obtained the order at risk.

Inadequate Evidence

Orders need evidence to be presented in court. However, in some cases, the evidence may not be enough to grant the order. Therefore, this can lead to delays in resolving the dispute. Also, it causes undue stress and hardship.


Obtaining orders can be costly. Having said that, legal fees and court costs must be paid. Unfortunately, this can be a barrier for some who cannot afford the process.

Limited Duration

These documents are usually only granted for a limited time. Also, this may not be enough to resolve the underlying issues that led to the dispute.

Lack of Support

The order may not receive adequate support and help from the authorities. Explicitly, this won’t help them enforce the order and secure their safety.

Complex Process

Point often overlooked, obtaining an occupation order UK can be complex and confusing. On the negative side, this can make the process difficult for some individuals. Important to realize this may need legal representation.

How Can I Prepare for My Court Hearing?

Equally important is gathering all the necessary evidence. Secondly, prepare yourself to present it in court. Lastly, this may include witnesses, medical records, and police reports.

Moreover, be prepared to explain why you need the order and how it’ll protect you. Furthermore, speak with a solicitor to help you prepare for the hearing.

Occupation Order UK is a serious legal remedy. A point often overlooked, this should not be taken lightly.

Usually, the order can be applied by both men and women. Generally, men can also be victims of domestic violence and harassment.

When Can I Apply?

The orders can be used in various situations where your safety or property is at risk. These situations include but are not limited to the following:

  • Domestic violence
  • Harassment
  • Stalking
  • Forced marriage
  • Female genital mutilation

Additionally, the order can also be used to protect someone’s property. This includes a landlord seeking to evict a tenant who is causing problems.


Q: What is a non-molestation order?

A: A non-molestation order is a type of court order in the UK designed to protect people from harassment, intimidation, or abuse by another person. The order may prohibit a person from coming near a victim’s home, place of work, or other specific places.

Q: How long does a non-molestation order last?

A: A non-molestation order is typically issued for a specified period, usually 6 months, but can be extended if necessary.

Q: What is an occupation order?

A: An occupation order is a type of court order in the UK that gives someone the legal right to occupy a property and exclude someone else from it. It is used to protect victims of domestic violence from their abuser by forcing the abuser to move out of the shared residence.

Q: Is there a time limit for an occupation order?

A: Yes, occupation orders can be issued for up to six months, but this can be extended if necessary.

Q: Are there any penalties for violating a non-molestation or occupation order?

A: Yes, violating either type of court order is a criminal offense in the UK and could lead to fines, imprisonment, or both.

Q: What are the consequences of violating a non-molestation or occupation order?

A: Violating a non-molestation or occupation order can lead to serious consequences, including fines, imprisonment, or both. It is important to seek legal advice and adhere to the terms of any court orders issued.


So, that’s a basic overview of non-molestation and occupation orders in the UK. If you’re affected, don’t panic. You have options for protecting yourself against your partner. Moreover, you can get the protection you need if you choose the right attorney.

As always, the best option is not to put yourself in this situation first. But if you can’t avoid it or if your abuser threatens to harm you, take action now.

A Consumer’s Guide to Navigating Complaints Against Solicitors
5 Tips on How to Get the Tier 2 Dependent Visa
Tier 1 Entrepreneur Visa UK: Your Guide to Apply

Share This Post:

Leave a Comment

Our Head Solicitor
Khurram Amir Qureshi

Khurram Amir Qureshi has been an advocate of Pakistan since 2004, a Solicitor of England and Wales since 2009, Solicitor of Ireland since 2015. He has extensive experience in family law, Immigration law, Personal injury cases, and Civil and Commercial litigation gaining over 13 years of continuous practice in England and Wales.

Recent posts
Follow us on
Get Expert Advice From Our Legal Team