Tier 2 Dependent Visa Guide

Tier 2 Dependent

Tier 2 Dependent Visa ,dependent of holders of the Tier 2 or Skilled Worker Visa have the right to enter and reside in the UK with their sponsor under the terms of this visa, formerly known as the Tier 2 Dependent Visa. In this case, a dependent can be a spouse, partner, or kid up to eighteen (or older if permission to be a child dependent was previously obtained).

Certain dependent family members of skilled worker visa holders have the right to enter the UK and accompany their dependents on a Tier 2 dependent visa. Those with settled status via British citizenship or indefinite leave to remain who previously had a Tier 2 (or skilled worker) visa may also apply for this immigration option.

It should be noted that the UK Tier 2 visa is no longer available for new applications; instead, the health and care worker and skilled worker visas have taken their place. As a result, the Tier 2 dependent visa is sometimes refer to as:

  • Dependent visa
  • Spouse visa (Tier 2)
  • Skilled Worker dependent visa
  • Healthcare and Care Worker dependent visa

Nevertheless, the requirements for each of these visas are generally the same.

Eligible Dependent Members for Tier 2 Dependent Visa UK

The following family members may accompany an eligible Tier 2 dependent Visa UK holder into the United Kingdom:

  • Civil Partner or Spouse
  • Partners who are not married and have been together for a minimum of two years
  • Children who were under the age of eighteen at the time of application (including those born in the UK while the visa was valid)
  • Children over 18 (only if they are the primary visa holder’s dependents and are currently in the UK)

As a Tier 2 dependent visa holder, you hold a significant role in the immigration process. You are responsible for ensuring that your application accurately reflects the genuine nature of your relationship with your family members.

Eligible Dependent Visas for Tier 2 Dependent Visa

As previously stated, new visas have replaced UK Tier 2 visas, which are no longer available for new applications. On the other hand, holders of the following Tier 2 visas may still be able to enter the country with their dependents:

  • Tier 2 (General)
  • Religious Minister (Tier 2)
  • Tier 2 Sportsperson
  • Intracompany Transfer (Tier 2)

It may be possible for foreign nationals to bring their dependent family members with them if they enter the United Kingdom on one of the more recent replacement visas. Among them are:

  • Visa for Skilled Workers
  • Health and Care Worker Visa (depending on the specific position held; not all jobs allow dependents)

General Requirements for the Tier 2 Dependent Visa UK

To qualify for a Tier 2 dependent visa, you and the members of your family need to meet the following requirements:

  1. Your partner, parent, or spouse must be in the UK on a valid, qualified, skilled worker visa, be a British citizen with indefinite leave to remain, or have held a prior Tier 2 or skilled worker visa.
  2. It would be best if you were among the family members who qualify as specified in the dependent visa UK (Tier 2) conditions for dependent visas.
  3. To be admitted, you must meet the standard requirements for admission to the UK, which include having a clear immigration record free of offenses.
  4. You have no intention of remaining in the UK once your visa expires.
If you want to come to the UK to live with your husband or partner,
  • When you apply, both of you must be older than 18.
  • In the UK, you have to be in an official marriage or civil partnership.
  • If you are not married or in a civil partnership, you must have lived together for at least two years before the application deadline.
  • You must be in a committed relationship to live together for your visa stay.
  • Children over 16 must financially rely on you, your partner, or your spouse.
  • You have to fulfill the minimal standards for finances.
You have to be devoid of all prior visas
  • Visitor Visa UK
  • short-term study visa issued in April 2015 or later
  • Parent with a student visa for a child under Tier 4 as of April 2015 or later

Documents Required for the Tier 2 Dependent Visa UK

Ensuring you have all the required personal documentation is a crucial first step in assembling your Tier 2 dependent visa application. It is what you require:

i) Present and Valid Passports

Each dependent must have a current and valid passport with at least one page reserved for the visa. The passport should be valid for their visit to the UK.

ii) Current Passport-Sized Color Photos

 Each dependent must submit two passport-sized color photos. The UKVI’s photograph guidelines, which include requirements for quality, size, and the applicant’s appearance, must also be followed by photographs.

Verify that each passport remains valid for a considerable period of time. To avoid issues, if a passport is about to expire, renew it before applying for the visa.

iii) Evidence of a relationship

Evidence of the relationship between the primary visa holder and the dependent is essential to the application for a skilled worker dependent visa. Presenting official documentation that demonstrates the family link is required for this, and the type of documentation required can vary significantly based on the relationship between the sponsor and the dependent.

For Dependent Children

Birth Certificates for Children with Parents’ Names: Birth certificates with both parents’ names must be included for child dependents. It fulfills the purpose of verifying the child’s identification and family ties, essential details for the visa application.

Adoption Documents: If the dependent child is adopted, you must present the official adoption documents that a certified official signed. These legal documents must identify you as the adoptive parents and include specifics about the adoption procedure.

For Dependent Partners

Legal Marriage Certificates for a partner: To establish their marital status with the primary visa holder, Spouse Dependents must present their original marriage certificate. Verifying that the nation’s legal system recognizes these marriage documents is essential.

  • Proof of a Sincere and Persistent Relationship: The partners of the primary visa applicant must present evidence of a sincere and ongoing relationship. It may consist of:
  • Statements of joint bank accounts: demonstrating cohabitation and handling of finances,
  • Utility invoices featuring both of the names: exhibit habitation.
  • Photos Together: Pictures from various eras and occasions.
  • Partners’ Correspondence: Messages, emails, and letters sent during the partnership.
  • Affidavits from Relatives and Family: Declarations made under oath in front of a judge or notary public attest to the genuineness and duration of the relationship.

For immigration officials to determine the veracity of the relationship claims. You must submit a comprehensive set of documentation under this category.

Application Process for the Tier 2 Dependent Visa

Apply from Outside the United Kingdom

You must submit a Tier 2 dependent (skilled worker) visa application online via the Gov.uk website.

You will need your family member’s Tier 2 (or similar) visa application number to apply for this visa. It will be a unique application number (UAN) or a global web form (GWF).

You must ensure the online visa application is completed as accurately as possible. To strengthen your application, you will also need to attach various supporting documents, such as ones attesting to the validity of your relationship with your family member.

It could also be necessary for you to visit a nearby UK visa application center to provide your biometric data. While your application is being considered, the local visa application center may keep your identifying documents, such as your passport.

Depending on the number of applications the center has received and its current workload. You should hear back about your application within three weeks, which could take longer.

Apply from Inside the United Kingdom

You must apply for a Tier 2 Dependent visa online via the UK government website. If you are already in the UK, you can convert from your existing visa to a Tier 2 Dependent visa if you apply and receive approval before the current visa expires.

Financial Requirements for the Tier 2 Dependent Visa

Tier 2 Holders of dependent visas are not eligible to receive any benefits because they cannot access public funds in the UK. Therefore, when you arrive in the UK, you will have to show sufficient evidence that your family member there can assist you financially during your visit (or that you have access to such funds).

The following are the minimal financial requirements:

  • £285 to a spouse
  • £315 for a single child
  • £200 for every extra child

It will be your responsibility to prove that you or a family member has access to this money for 28 to 31 days before the date you apply for the visa. You can accomplish this by submitting a recent copy of your bank statement.

Note that you will not need to provide proof of your ability to meet the financial requirements if one of the following applies:

  • Your dependent family member’s company may pay for your first month’s expenses in the UK,
  • You and your family members may have been on a valid visa in the country for an entire year.
  • The sponsorship certificate you obtained from your family member’s employer upon initial application for a Tier 2 (or comparable) visa must specify this.

Tier 2 Visa Extension

After being on a Tier 2 dependent visa for five years, holders of dependent visas may be eligible to apply for indefinite leave to remain (ILR).

Keep in mind that your family member must additionally qualify by either:

  • After having their visa for five years in the UK, they can apply for ILR.
  • You have successfully filed for ILR after obtaining a visa and staying in the UK for five years.

Additionally, you have to meet all other eligibility requirements for ILR.


The UK is well-known for its educational institutions and the type of education it provides. Studying on a Tier 2 dependent visa can afford you excellent chances to advance your job (or launch a new one) and learn new things. You may be aware of the limitations set forth by the Home Office if you are currently in the UK and dependent on someone with a Tier 2 visa. The Tier 2 dependent visa offers several choices not seen in many other visa categories and is flexible. One of its most incredible benefits is that users of this visa can work for any employer.


What is a dependent visa for the UK?

Spouses, unmarried partners, and children of the primary visa holder may enter the UK for the same period as the primary visa holder under Tier 2 and Skilled Worker Dependent Visas.

Can applicants for Tier 2 dependent visas work in the UK?

Of course, those with a Tier 2 dependent visa have the right to work in the UK. However, some limitations exist: you cannot pursue medical or dental education or participate in professional sports, including coaching positions. You can look for work in any other field without needing a different work visa.

Can a dependent visa switch to a tier 2 visa?

Yes, you can change your visa. To convert your dependent visa to a skilled worker visa while in the UK. You must take the following actions: Fill out the application for a skilled worker visa and send it in. Pay the £719 (for up to three years) or £1,423 (for more than three years) application cost per person.

Share This Post:

Leave a Comment

Our Head Solicitor
Khurram Amir Qureshi

Khurram Amir Qureshi has been an advocate of Pakistan since 2004, a Solicitor of England and Wales since 2009, Solicitor of Ireland since 2015. He has extensive experience in family law, Immigration law, Personal injury cases, and Civil and Commercial litigation gaining over 13 years of continuous practice in England and Wales.

Recent posts
Follow us on
Get Expert Advice From Our Legal Team