+44 7853 844688


Want to know the Legal statement for separated parents’ holiday rights in the UK?

Want to know the Legal statement for separated parents’ holiday rights in the UK?

If you are separated from your partner and have a child. You must know your rights to have a holiday trip with your child. In the UK, legal rights are strictly observed for the prosperity of children in the case of parents’ divorce. Legal statements for separated parents In case of separation from your spouse, do you want to know the legal statements for separated parents’ holiday rights in the UK? Generally, if you have parental responsibility, you can take your child for a holiday without permission from the other parent within the UK and Wales.

Can I take my child abroad without the father’s consent in the UK?

If you are a separated mother with legal responsibility for the child, you can take your child anywhere without the father’s consent. But to avoid any circumstances, discussing with the child’s father is better before taking your child abroad. In the UK law act, the mother is the guardian or has the parental responsibility naturally; in some cases, fathers have the legal responsibility for the child.

 In both situations, the law act is somehow different. If the father has parental responsibility, you cannot take your child abroad without his permission and his concern. You have to get permission from his father or the court to go overseas with your child.

In the UK, mothers commonly have parental legal responsibility and can decide the most important things for their children, such as health, education, residence, religion, and plans. She can decide whether her child can go abroad for education or any holiday trips with her. But if the child is not in her custody, then the father’s consent is more important to take him abroad with her.

Can I take my child on holiday without the father’s permission?

In the case of a divorced mother, you must know the legal statements for separated parents‘ holiday rights in the UK. For holidays and weekend plans with your kids, you must have a written agreement with your ex to avoid any inconvenience on holidays. You cannot spend your holiday and weekend with your kids and take them without their father’s permission if the kids are residents with him.

You should discuss the holiday plans if any of you have and want to spend with your kids. Court orders are unnecessary if both parties sort out the essential matters for their young ones without combat, including holiday plans. If the father agrees with the point, you can take your kids for a holiday without repeated permission every weekend.

Can a father stop the mother from taking the child on holiday in the UK?

As per the UK children’s law, the answer to this question, can a father stop the mother from taking the child on holidays in the UK, is different according to the situation. When we ask a children’s law solicitor about this question, he may have these queries to answer you better.

  • Is there any court order prohibiting a mother from taking on holiday?
  • If there are any complications or problems on the previous holiday trip?
  • Is the mother marrY again to someone else?. And does the child’s father have concerns about the mother’s new partner?
  • Does the mother plan to spend the holiday in the UK?
  • Is she going abroad with her child? And for how many days?
  • Does Taking the child on holiday affect the studies circle, or does he miss any family events?

These questions vary from case to case in the UK children’s law. If a mother takes her child for a holiday trip without the father’s permission, it may considered child abduction in the UK.

Both parties should have written agreements about holiday spending to avoid hurdles in such cases. If the father stops the mother from taking the child on holiday without a solid reason. The mother can get a court order to meet her child. On the other side, a father can also show a court order if he wants to stop the mother from taking the child on holiday. If he has some issues with that meeting. If he thinks the trip on holiday may affect the child’s health or cause any study interruption. He can stop the mother from taking their child on holiday.

What is the cost of the court order to take the child abroad?

In the UK Children’s Law Act, separated parents have a right to spend. The holiday with their child is allow to have a meetup for one week. The parent with residential rights to the child can take their child abroad for 28 days. Without the other parent’s consent. But if grandparents want to take the child with them on holiday. They are bounds to get permission from both partners. Court orders are not necessary if both partners agree on spending holiday plans. In case of combat or serious issues with each other. Any parent can get a court order and permission to take the child abroad without the other parent’s consent.

 In the UK, £232 is the court fee if you want a prohibited order or permission from the court. Family courts are here to hear the case of the children’s custody and residence orders. You can also get parental responsibility orders from the court. If you cannot pay the fee, you can bring legal aid to pay it. If you deny the court order and take the child without court permission, it results in a child abduction offense. You have to pay a fine, leading to 6 months in prison.


Q: What is the legal statement for separated parents’ holiday rights in the UK?

A: Under UK law, separate parents are both legally entitle to have contact with their children during holidays and other times throughout the year. Parents can agree upon when and how long these contact periods will be.

Q: Should I seek legal advice to arrange holidays with my children?

A: You are not require to seek legal advice if both parents agree on holiday plans. However, if you cannot come to a mutual agreement or would like further information on your rights and the legalities, you may wish to seek the advice of a family lawyer.

Q: Are there any travel restrictions outside the UK during holidays?

A: Travelling abroad with your children may require you to obtain a court order or written permission from the other parent. This must be obtained before you travel abroad, as this could be considered child abduction.

Q: What if one parent wishes to take the children on holiday alone?

A: If one parent wants to take the children abroad for a holiday, they must first get the other parent’s written consent or a court order.

Q: What if one parent does not return the children after a holiday?

A: If one parent does not return the children after a holiday, it may be considered parental abduction and can result in serious consequences. If you believe this is happening, you should seek immediate legal advice.


Here we have an expert’s guide if you want to know the legal statements. For separated patents’ holiday rights in the UK. Both parents can take their child on holiday with the court’s permission. The partner with legal responsibility and custody of the child can carry the kid without the other partner’s consent. They can take their child abroad for 28 days of holiday and spend. A fortnight with the child if they have a court order and legal statements for separation. To avoid inconvenience, experts advise you to have written permission. Letter from your spouse or court for taking your child abroad on holiday.

Share This Post:

13 thoughts on “Want to know the Legal statement for separated parents’ holiday rights in the UK?”

  1. You really make it appear really easy together with your presentation but I find this topic to be really one thing that I think I would never understand. It seems too complex and very broad for me. I’m taking a look ahead on your next submit, I will attempt to get the hang of it!


Leave a Comment

Our Head Solicitor
Khurram Amir Qureshi

Khurram Amir Qureshi has been an advocate of Pakistan since 2004, a Solicitor of England and Wales since 2009, Solicitor of Ireland since 2015. He has extensive experience in family law, Immigration law, Personal injury cases, and Civil and Commercial litigation gaining over 13 years of continuous practice in England and Wales.

Recent posts
Follow us on
Get Expert Advice From Our Legal Team